We are all familiar with the phrase ‘nine-to-five job’, but how many people do you know that actually work those hours anymore? We are working longer hours and carrying heavier workloads, leaving us with less time for everything else.
A mental health survey found that more than forty percent of employees are neglecting other aspects of their life because of work, which may increase their vulnerability to mental health problems. It is crucial for employees to learn to maintain a healthy work-life balance in order to achieve overall wellbeing.
Extensive research has proven that wellbeing is directly linked to increased productivity, increased morale, increased efficiency and overall better health. Promoting a healthy work-life balance at work will benefit both the organisation and the individuals who are core to an organisation’s success by, among other things, reducing absenteeism, presenteeism and staff turnover.
What employees can do to achieve a healthy work-life balance:
- Take responsibility to create an ‘unwind routine’
- Take holidays
- Take breaks
- Learn to say ‘No’
What employers can do to ensure their employees have a healthy work-life balance:
- Create an open and trusting culture within the company
- Provide general staff and line managers training
- Remove stigma around stress and mental health in the workplace
- Provide information/materials on stress and mental health illnesses
- Encourage wellbeing activities in the workplace and outside of the workplace
These ideas and many, many more will be discussed at the Wellbeing Conference in November, and we look forward to seeing you on the day.
- Taking control of absence - 17 June 2015
- Are you aware of the importance of good mental health within your organisation? - 16 June 2015
- More productivity is a good thing, right? - 19 May 2015
- Election 2015 – The future of British workplaces - 8 April 2015
- Healthy workplaces manage stress - 20 November 2014
- Did you know that absenteeism is very costly for businesses? - 3 October 2014
- Do you have a healthy work-life balance? - 22 September 2014
- How does stress affect your sleep? - 8 September 2014
- How do healthy workplaces manage stress? - 22 August 2014